Smith's It Gets Better video. Made me tear up. I'm so proud to go to school with such incredible people.
Own your beauty is an ongoing thing at BlogHer and this piece is particularly great.
Gender identity debates at single-sex colleges.
A NY Times writer asks: Can we make it “manly” (or even better, “gender neutral”) to spend a day with a child, or earn less money but have more family time, or be the only parent at a parent-teacher conference because your wife has a meeting?
Much love,
The Sheriff
Hey, I'm an alumna and I LOVE the Smith It Gets Better video -- amazing. Something as simple as saying your name and your orientation can be so powerful, and I felt so proud of my school.
ReplyDeleteAs for the CNN article, I agree with MoHo -- "We admit women. We graduate students. They develop as they develop." There IS no easy line to draw. All I know is that until there's a big demand for genderqueer-only students, there needs to be a safe space. Fuck the "mission" of a women's college, the point is that I didn't have to watch my friends get harrassed or worse for being who they were. THAT's a valuable service that Smith and MoHo and all the other accepting schools out there provide.