Monday, June 27, 2011

ads promoting eating disorders?--talkin' yoplait today

source

Because I live under a rock and don't actually own a TV (and didn't bother to learn how to turn on my parents' TV while I was living with them), I never saw this ad from Yoplait that NEDA (National Eating Disorder Association, for those not in the loop with the acronyms) got yanked for supposedly promoting eating disorders among viewers.

I think this ad is really interesting because it does capture a lot of sad aspects of modern women and our relationship to food: the denial of desires for supposedly "bad" foods, the immense guilt that comes from enjoying these supposedly sinful treats, the constant comparison of bodies, the precise math calculations done in order to justify a caloric splurge. To me, the mental mathematics absolutely were reminiscent of my eating disorder, trying to see how I could make myself feel at peace with eating a piece of bread or mashed potatoes or a slice of my own birthday cake.

The inner dialogue of most eating disordered individuals is definitely harsher than the thoughts presented in this ad, but that doesn't make it okay just because it's not pathological. The red haired actress notes at the beginning of the ad, "I've been good all day, I deserve it!" As if one needs to deserve or justify one's food choices anyway. Eat what ya damn please! Your food choices, contrary to the thoughts of many women and men struggling with disorder eating and eating disorders, are not a moral issue. They don't make you good or bad. Seriously.

Furthermore, the choice of the actress with the sunken cheeks being the one eating yogurt and the healthier-looking actress being the one experiencing all the inner turmoil, guilt, and envy sends a pretty clear message about which one you should like to be more like.

But does it actually promote eating disorders? Nah. I don't think so. It could be triggering for someone struggling or reinforce the thoughts and beliefs of someone struggling with disordered eating, but for a food company to promote eating disorders, even by making their food appear to be the more virtuous choice for the appearance-concerned woman, is just plain bad business. But Yoplait certainly got a lot of press from this incident, so perhaps it worked out for them.

What do you think? Is this ad worth being pulled, or does it not really push your buttons?

Much love,
The Sheriff

No comments:

Post a Comment