Kate of Eat the Damn Cake regularly does an un-roast at the end of each post, where she praises a body part or feature of hers. In that spirit, I'm taking this Monday to praise my legs.
From the age of three onward, I wanted to be a ballerina. I was not necessarily a graceful child, and spent most of my time running around in the woods with no shoes on, talking to myself and scraping my knees, but at the barre, in front of the mirror in my leotard, I felt elegant (except that I was three and didn't know what that meant). Dance has been a part of my life ever since, and it's always been a space where my legs serve me well--fast moving, strong, sure of themselves.
They've changed drastically over the years--pudgy and childlike as a kid, stick thin and lean during the eating disorder years, then strong and solid again. They're not long and sexy like a Victoria's Secret model sashaying down the runway. I've had Marvel compliment them for being "short and strong," which is code for stocky and squat. And while there are definitely more graceful ways to express that, I actually like that they're stocky. I could pick them out of a lineup--they hold their own on the leg press machine, and always impress me with their flexibility. Even now, when they're decidedly more jiggly than perhaps ever before, I like them. They're not perfect, but they're entirely, wholly mine.
Do you have a body part you love, despite it's non-conventional features?
Much love,
The Sheriff
No comments:
Post a Comment