I'm taking a lovely dance class called Tribal Fusion with a woman who is the closest embodiment to a goddess as I have ever met. She is funny, down to earth yet regal, takes up her space and does not apologize. I am simultaneously enamored with her and intimidated. But I digress.
Tribal Fusion is essentially the non-derogatory term for belly-dance, which conjures up all sorts of over-sexualized images of half naked women wearing glitter and grinding their sinuous tummys all over the place. Being a Smith College dance class, there is no glitter and no over-sexualization, but just a roomful of women (and a trans man!) shaking our buts and undulating our stomachs and generally enjoying the bliss of movement. There are times when I glance around the room and just beam at how awesome it is to have 30 plus people in a truly body-positive space, doin' their thing without self-judgment.
It was actually something of a risk for me to take this class. I'd danced since I could walk until high school, but it fell by the side as college and multiple part-time jobs took over. And to have me, with my inherited stomach neurosis, practicing a dance form that's all about getting in touch with that feminine curve? I was terrified the first day. But it has been nothing short of incredible. It's the first time in my life that I've moved, felt my booty and hips reverberate and have reveled in it, not just lacking the usual harsh judgment but moving with real joy. This, this incredible elusive sensation, is what healthy body image feels and looks like. And it's a fucking shame we don't give women and ourselves tools to find this on their own.
I almost titled this "the highway to a normal body image," but then I realized a "normal" body image entails mental and physical torture, a constant inner dialogue of trash talk to your body, and generally hatin' on yourself. And that should NOT be accepted as "normal." But you do have the power to do something about that, at least for yourself. Operation Beautiful your own bathroom. Shut up your friends when they start with the fat talk. Point out unfair beauty standards whenever you see them. Treat your body like the gift it is, with proper sleep and fuel and fun. Read this list and give a few a try. Is some of this cheesy? Maybe. Worth it? Absolutely.
Much love,
The Sheriff

i completely agree with your description of donna and tribal. what a wonderful space in which to revel in one's own beautiful, powerful body and to inhabit a dance form that for generations has honored communities of women and healthy physical expression! it makes me excited to take tribal 2 next semester! woohoo!
ReplyDeleteI'm taking Tribal 2 too! YAY!
ReplyDeleteTaking Tribal Fusion was one of the all-time best decisions of my entire Smith career. Donna is indeed a goddess.
ReplyDeleteI'd like to point out (as constructive criticism) that the phrase "transman" isn't really the most appropriate. It is more appropriate to put a space in between (trans man), so that the word "trans" is the modifying adjective for the noun "man", and so that "transman" is not being utilized as a noun that is differentiated from "other" men.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I honestly didn't know that.
ReplyDeleteYou are very welcome! Thanks so much for your prompt editing. :)
ReplyDelete