Monday, January 17, 2011

workin' it out: why exercise might go hand in hand with recovery

As many of you know, yours truly went into treatment for her eating disorder, which reared its ugly head full force after a pretty decent period of quiet, about a year ago (actually, today marks the anniversary of my initial assessment. Woohoo!). I had spent much of my junior year fall semester in the gym, getting there at the crack of dawn and pushing myself too hard. Exercise wasn't my main drug of choice, so to speak, but it played into the rest of my eating disordered behaviors and was definitely not an activity I undertook with the intention to work my heart, reduce my risk of diabetes, or reduce stress: I did it to lose weight, to try to control my size, and to punish myself. To say the least, it wasn't pretty.

I also saw a painfully eating disordered woman there every morning. Aside form her emaciated body, which was admittedly a pretty clear hint that she was ill, there's just something in the eyes and face of people who have eating disorders that's instantly recognizable to me. I find myself spotting them in public places, and wondering if I show any of that anymore, or if the health and joy and recovery has crowded out the ED glaze. I avoided the gym for a long time, knowing I would see her or someone else on the treadmill for hours and that it just wasn't in line with my priorities to toss that kind of imagery in my face on the daily.

But I've recently started working out again, and it feels fantastic. Granted, it's mostly me hoisting weights around or doing cheesy workout DVDs in my room (I just can't make myself hit the actual gym), but it's done wonders for my self-esteem. I don't see any significant shifts in my size, but I feel great about my body anyway because it can do stuff. After a particularly intense yoga DVD, I reveled in the soreness of my upper arms, not out of punishment but pride that I could hold my own during that many sun salutations. My body image has similarly been pretty awesome lately. Might there be a connection?

yay!
Research says yes! Even eating disordered individuals can benefit from exercise during their recovery. And it might even be helpful in preventing the eating disorder behaviors from arising in the first place in particularly at risk individuals. Which is pretty fuckin' cool, if you think about it: build a positive, healthy habit in young girls (and boys!) that helps them deal with stress and enhances their body image and physical health and you just might help them avoid developing a crippling mental illness. Research shows being active improves body image regardless of physical changes, meaning it wouldn't necessarily have to be associated with bigger muscles or a smaller waist to prompt a healthier self image.

Of course, I think this needs some more work before it's an accepted practice. By no means should a bulimic with low eloctrolytes or an emaciated individual be put on any serious sort of fat-burning regimen, but gentle yoga and walking would absolutely be beneficial additions to many residental treatment programs (and even outpatient ones!). And for someone still on the recovery path, I find it heartening that science is backing up what I'm discovering on my own.

What's your relationship to exercise? Healthy, troubled, non-existent?

Much love,
The Sheriff

3 comments:

  1. Great post. I find that my body image/exercise relationship really depends on the kind of exercise I do. I was at my lowest adult weight the year I decided to run two half marathons — but I was really unhappy because running pushed all of my hyper-competitive over-achiever buttons. So every workout became 45 minutes (or more) of me beating up on myself because I couldn't go faster or I walked up a hard hill or what have you. All I could see was what I wasn't doing right, rather than being excited about the progress I had made (I used to be the girl who couldn't even run a mile, so hello, 13.5 miles is pretty f*cking impressive!).

    Then I got a stress fracture in my foot (from too much running) and had to stop for awhile. At first it was REALLY hard because all I could think about was the ground I'd be losing and how hard it would be to get back in shape. But then I started going to yoga -- and found a workout that didn't make me hate on my body the whole time! I suppose you can get competitive in yoga, but maybe because the uber-advanced poses are so ridiculously impossible looking, I don't go there. I get really excited whenever I master even a super basic pose, and I spend the whole workout being amazed at everything my body can do, rather than mad at myself for not doing more.

    I have recently started adding some hiking in to my routine, because we live near some beautiful trails and I love walking them. Some days I even do a little bit of running because it feels good — but I'm being really careful to avoid tracking how much I'm running or getting back into that competing-with-myself place. It's so great to actually enjoy physical activity, I don't want to bring back any element of that negative thinking!

    All of which is to say what you just said: That's it's super important to find exercise that boosts your self-esteem, rather than challenging it. And I think the key to that is making sure it's an activity you enjoy in and of itself — rather than something you view as a necessary evil to be endured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I had access to a gym I really enjoyed weight-lifting. I thought I would hate it, and only tried it because I had to do something for the gym class I was in and I can't stand treadmills (or running in general). I found it to be meditative (slowing counting, repetitive motions) and empowering. I liked trying new machines and finding ones that felt good for me: the leg-thrusty kind, ones that worked my back and shoulders, the ab-crunchy kind. I could never do sit-ups on the ground properly because they hurt my spine, but the machine made it painless and even fun.

    Apparently some (a lot?) of women stay away from it because they're afraid of getting "bulky," but that never happened to me. If I flexed my bicep I could tell a difference, but no more than when I used to work at an icecream shop. I was doing about an hour, about three times a week.

    Mostly I think I got an endorphin rush, and felt very present and aware in my body. Now I ride my bike everywhere and get similar benefits from that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More great health benefits of exercise that have nothing to do with size & weight--exercise increases your sex drive and helps control insomnia!

    ReplyDelete