![]() |
| maybe the scariest laughing picture I found. |
Okay, so that title is a little bit intentionally inflammatory, but I had to get you interested, right? Clearly there's a plethora of funny feminists out there, including performers and regular folks, but there's also an overriding perception of feminists as uptight. Unable to chill out. Bitches. While that's obviously untrue, sometimes I find myself feeling that like woman. Like when I was recently watching this video of Snoop Dogg at the roast of Donald Trump.
Now I gotta admit: I love me some Snoop Dogg. Yes, his lyrics (especially his early stuff) are misogynistic like whoa, and he has done some shady stuff in his lifetime, but he has great flow and I genuinely wish my voice sounded like his. But watching this clip just made me uncomfortable. All of the insults directed at the females are either about how they're massive sluts or their appearance, the sole exception being his joke about a deaf woman sounding like she was clubbing a baby seal while she practiced her lines. Oh, and he insults one of the men present by saying he's so ugly, he looks like Lisa Lampanelli's vagina. Cute.
I've pointed out before that the most effective way to insult a woman seems to be to target her looks or her sexuality in some way because that's what we're primarily taught in our culture to value about ourselves. A degree from the Ivies might be nice, but not without a flat stomach to accompany it.
So does it make me an uptight bitch that I find this kind of humor lacking in creativity and a lil bit offensive? I don't think so. While I'm not a warrior for political correctness all the time, I think there can absolutely be incredible humor that's original and hilarious and interesting without resorting to tired old lines about "oh man she's such a ho, and isn't she ugly/fat too?" I don't watch many popular movies, as I'm not up with the young hip kids these days, but I imagine most romantic comedies and the like stick to the same script.
What do you think? Have you found any particularly offensive examples lately? Or any awesome woman-friendly humor (please share)? Or, like me, do you laugh at silly cat pictures most of the time?
Much love,
The Sheriff

No comments:
Post a Comment