Friday, April 15, 2011

Friday Links

Surprising that J. Crew is the one to spark some debate about gender roles. Specifically about small boys and pink toenails.

Speaking of gender roles...if you read my last post about Smith's refusal to let a male student host prospective students, this article in the Sophian written by him might be of interest. 

And you can sign this petition to communicate to the administration that we support trans rights at Smith!

Homophobia isn't good for business, says 50 cent. Progress? 

And finally: how to stay sane during finals week.

Much love,
The Sheriff

2 comments:

  1. Not surprised about the J.Crew thing, though what I *AM* surprised about is how no one brought up the fact that the pic was a little on the risky side from a business perspective. Bright pink nail polish, especially on a boy is not exactly "typically preppy" which is what J.Crew is (I came from a school where any unnatural nail colour was banned, period. And this was a girls-only environment. I don't consider it repressive, just the way things are when there are uniforms or dress codes - and this goes for adults at offices too). They also don't use models with green hair, multiple piercings or tattoos. Those looks aren't preppy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preppy boys wear pink, though. And the photoshoot wasn't him at school with pink fingernails, it was hanging out with his mom at home with pink toenails. I would imagine the folks who buy J.Crew can tell the difference in context. Or do preppy people never unwind a little, even at home? Their website's boys section features a "lightweight destroyed sweatshirt" and "slub hoodie," neither of which strikes me as preppy, aside from the $60 price tag.

    None of the offices I've worked in have had dress codes, even the one that was super conservative/Republican. I do think it's repressive to tell people they can't express individuality, and it's awesome that J.Crew was breaking the mold a little bit with this ad.

    ReplyDelete