![]() |
| source |
I say bullshit.
80% of what gets anyone laid is swagger. It's confidence. It's the ability to project that you're awesome and that this person is lucky to be with you but in a way that's not conceited or arrogant. It's subtle, but it's powerful when people have it and actually comfortable enough with themselves to turn their swag on. Of course, being anything other than what our mainstream culture defines as attractive could hurt your chances, in theory. But in practice, I have witnessed so many flirtations and pairings that were unbalanced in terms of sheer physical attractiveness but powered by one person's total confidence.
Confidence is flat out hot. When someone is projecting confidence in their attributes, it makes you think they'll have the same skills in pleasing you. This might be a fallacy (I've had my share of missed calls based on swagger alone), but the swagger does its work in getting them interactions with fine people such as yourself.
And what's best is swag isn't something you have or else you're fucked; you can always develop a healthy sense of cockiness and reap the benefits, regardless of whether or not society says you're hot enough to be reaping those sexual benefits. Self-love and a little bit of good posture can do a world of good.
But if you think you're too skinny/short/fat/tall/awkward/differently abled to get pussy/peen, guess what? You're probably right. You've already decided in your own head that you weren't good enough for anyone's attention, and then by being more shy and reserved and less likely to act on that sexy eye contact someone's flashing you across the room, you dash your own chances. And then, of course, since you have just proven to yourself that you can't get any, you won't put it any effort next time either, and so the cycle continues.
I say: Chin up. Get your swag on, and you'll be fine.
But what do you say? Is swagger the ultimate determinant of one's ability to get laid, or is it more based in looks than I think? Am I just easily swayed by cockiness? Is it more about chemistry? Pheromones? Talk to me.
Much love,
The Sheriff

I agree completely, having experienced this on both sides. I have had some of my most rewarding sexytimes with people whom I would not have gone out with based on a photo alone, but who had that certain charisma in person that drew me in and kept me coming back. I've also let the swagger disrupt the logical part of my brain that was shouting BACK AWAY! ZIE IS NO GOOD FOR YOU!, so there can be a downside. I think swagger is a huge part of the Bad Boy Appeal.
ReplyDeleteThis summer I've also experienced the benefits of feeling/acting like I'm hot shit. I've had really good luck by projecting an attitude that says "Hey, I'm awesome, and I'm noticing you, so you're obviously pretty awesome too." People like receiving attention from people who feel good about themselves. It's way more flattering than attention from someone who feels like shit. If a person feels terrible about themselves but still thinks they have a shot with me, what does that say about the way they see me?
I think swagger helps explain the phenomenon wherein you have a long dry spell, and then the second you start seeing someone new, everyone else flocks to you. That boost of confidence from the early dating stages stays with you and impacts your interactions with others.