![]() |
| how are you reallll? |
Even with the knowledge that these photos are ridiculously photoshopped (see above link, people), even knowing full well that these women are paid to look good and that's all (whereas I am paid to do things!), even given my personal battles with body image and knowing that by now I've fully earned the right to not give a damn what I look like in a bikini...the VS swimsuit catalog holds this strange power over me.
I find myself scrutinizing the pictures, practically drooling over their abs, then turning to the mirror and wondering what the hell I'm doing wrong that I don't have that kind of definition, why I don't hit the gym harder, why I'm so fucking short, why I'm not that tan, why my stretch marks show, why why why.
To answer that, I turn to a silly forward email from one of my aunts (one of those forwards that references events that probably never happened, but I like the sentiment):
Recently, in a large French city, a poster featuring a young, thin and tan woman appeared in the window of a gym. It said:
THIS SUMMER DO YOU WANT TO BE A MERMAID OR A WHALE?
A middle-aged woman, whose physical characteristics did not match those of the woman on the poster, responded publicly to the question posed by the gym.
To Whom It May Concern:
Whales are always surrounded by friends (dolphins, sea lions, curious humans). They have an active sex life; they get pregnant and have adorable baby whales. They have a wonderful time with dolphins stuffing themselves with shrimp. They play and swim in the seas, seeing wonderful places like Patagonia, the Bering Sea and the coral reefs of Polynesia. Whales are wonderful singers and have even recorded CDs. They are incredible creatures and virtually have no predators other than humans. They are loved, protected and admired by almost everyone in the world.
Mermaids don't exist. If they did exist, they would be lining up outside the offices of Argentinean psychoanalysts due to identity crisis. Fish or human? They don't have a sex life because they kill men who get close to them not to mention how could they have sex? Therefore, they do not have kids either. Not to mention, who wants to get close to a girl who smells like a fish store?
The choice is perfectly clear to me; I want to be a whale.
By no means do I consider myself (at least when I am being rational, and after I have put down the VS catalog) a whale or even overweight. I am pretty goddamn normal, and honestly, that's fantastic. I've got great boobs, a nice butt, thick thighs, fantastic hair, and (most importantly) a brain that is something not to be fucked with underneath that hair. A brain that allows me to reflect on all the things my body and heart and soul can do that have jack shit to do with how I look in a bikini. A brain that allows me to note that looking good in a bikini does not mean looking like Alessanda Ambrosio, it means looking healthy and happy and happy with yourself. A brain that recognizes that I never could look like Alessandra anyway, unless I grew half a foot and became Brazilian. A brain that reminds me I can construct my own beauty ideals. Sometimes. When I remove the bad influences and step away from the images of photoshopped models. Which we should probably all do.
Do you have anything that, despite its ridiculous nature, wrecks your confidence? How do you combat it?
Much love,
The Sheriff
PS-FF is cross-posted today on Beauty Schooled, which is a fantastic blog about the beauty industry and the price we pay for the products we use (both literally and in terms of the chemicals in them, the effects of ads, etc.). You should check it out!

Sometimes I feel like the only one in the world who is unaffected by magazines and models. I have never experienced feeling bad after looking at a VS model. Critics will dismiss them and chalk it up to photoshop, an army of hair and makeup people, and the results on only living a miserable life dieting and working out endlessly, but I have a secret: I have seen a VS model in real life, and she's just as beautiful and conventionally "flawless" looking even when she's dressed down in jeans and t-shirt and minimal makeup. I'm sorry if that bruises your self esteem even further, but it doesn't need to. Women have been programed to compete with other women and feel the need to be the best looking. But the good news is, we have the ability to stop. It takes a lot of soul searching to do it though. I wish I could just instruct every woman on how, but it's really unexplainable. I try to help build the self esteems of young women as best as I can. Hopefully if we all join together to work on our own self esteem instead of criticizing the beauty industry, we could make more progress.
ReplyDeleteYay for the cross-post!
ReplyDeleteAnd I LOVE the mermaid/whale debate. Totally agree. And props to whoever wrote it for references to Argentine psychoanalysts. Hilarious.
Great, as always!!
great post. love the mermaid/whale comeback. You've got a new follower! :)
ReplyDeleteThose catalogs bother me too though I am on the other end of the issue. They don't make a bra small enough for me. I was once at one of those fussy shops where the OWNER actually said to me "Are you sure you want to buy a bra". Really? All I can say is Fake Fake Fake! Who wants to be them anyway. Great post!
ReplyDelete