![]() |
| source |
I couldn't resist the Rent inspired title for today's post, because today is a momentous day. It marks a full year for me without any eating disorder behaviors at all, something I haven't done since I was 12 when my disorder really took off. And I'm pretty fuckin' proud.
I went into treatment at age 14 for the first time, and it was mostly just going through the motions. I was sorta sick of my ED, but really? I secretly loved it, the comfort it gave me, the way it calmed me down to obsess over calories and to run my hands over my jutting hip bones while I laid in bed at night. That's why it never really went away: I never really wanted it to.
It came back with a raging vengeance at age 20, and I was tired of it. Tired of being exhausted, of being isolated, of having no room in my life for fun or joy or confidence or friends. Just room for gripping, terrifying intense obsession. I chose to put myself into treatment, like an accountable adult, and that made all the difference. I made and kept every appointment, and although there were days when I hated it, when I wanted to punch my nutritionist for making me choke down so many snacks, I came to relish the feeling of being good to myself. Of being honest for once. Of forgiving myself. Of finally mourning my eating disorder, and letting it go as an active part of my identity. I used to be anorexic and bulimic, just like I used to have spiked hair and wear UFO pants and participate in mosh pits. But, finally, not anymore.
![]() |
| source |
Much love,
The Sheriff




congrats, girl. addictions are the worst thing in the world my experience quitting smoking reminded me of what you said. i understand missing that comfort even though you know this shit is terrible for you, and how badly you have to want it yourself in order for it to end. its hard as shit but you deserve all the congratulations in the world for getting over it. still, im judging you hard for using a rent lyric.
ReplyDelete<3
Having a family whose favorite pastime is addiction, and having too many friends who have struggled with disordered eating, I have some idea of how difficult your journey has been. The women I know how have overcome eating disorders are some of the strongest, bravest people I know. You are totally amazing. And so is Rent.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the support! And the Rent love.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! May you continue to be healthy and take pride in yourself:)
ReplyDeleteBrava, darling. Keep being awesome. :)
ReplyDelete