Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Body Modification & Empowerment: Or, Why I Got My Junk Pierced

Upon entering the absurdly liberal and very much pierced institution of Smith College(first years are practically required to get a nasal piercing), I had four piercings (all in my ears) and no tattoos, despite a fierce yet brief punk phase in early high school.

Today, as a junior, I've got seven piercings and four tattoos. And one of those body modifications is, as the title may have given away, a genital piercing--the vertical clitoral hood (VCH) to be specific. What's even crazier is that I've had it done twice.

Yeah, I know. I'm a BAMF.

I don't know what exactly put the idea in my head, but sometime in the fall of my sophomore year, I decided to start researching female genital piercings like any good college student would (not gonna lie, I probably saw it in a porno and thought it looked cute). I found out that no one really has a clit piercing, as your clitoris would have to be the size of a grape in order to do that (pretty sure if I had a grape-sized clit, I would never leave the house. Just sayin'). And out of all bodily piercings, female genital and especially VCH piercings heal the fastest because all of that healthy bacteria we carry around to help us heal after babies. And the sexual benefits! DAMN. Although I've never had a hard time getting off, reading a few testimonials about how it changed lives was all I needed to give me the kick in the ass to schedule an appointment and to ask a trusted friend to go with me.

It was one of the most nerve-racking experiences of my life. The piercer (a male, of course) tried to put me at ease but when someone is coming at your junk with a needle, it's hard to relax. When everything was prepped and sterilized, I took a deep breath, squeezed my friend's hand, and exhaled as I experienced one of the most conflicting sensations I've ever had.

It was simultaneously painful (like a really hard pinch) and also deeply pleasurable. It almost felt spiritual, honestly.

After we left, I was in such disbelief that I'd done it, I kept peeking down my pants to confirm that I did, indeed, have an adorable lil barbell just sitting on my clit now.

I discovered the next day that the testimonials did not lie: the first time I went for a jog, I came while running from all the friction (it's amazing I didn't start running marathons). Sex with Beefcake, already pretty damn good, became mind-blowing. It was the best investment I'd ever made. Until I took it briefly and it closed up within a few hours (all that fucking healthy bacteria!). SAD.

It took me a year to get up the guts(and money, as the piercing's about $80 without tip) to get it re-pierced. And I'm so thankful I did (a friend came along and got hers done at the same time, which made for fabulous bonding), not just because it looks cute or it makes cumming much easier.

For me, choosing to pierce my VCH was about empowerment. I made the conscious choice to modify my body in such a way as to enhance my ability to derive pleasure from it, and for someone who has fought an eating disorder for the past nine years, I can't overstate the power that enjoying my body more has brought me.

It's also why I've acquired my tats; seeing something beautiful that tells my story inked on a body part I previously disliked or even hated has made me much more compassionate towards my body, despite its (perceived) flaws. My latest addition was a birthday present to myself and I got the Smith spirit mark, the Fury, tattooed on my hip. It's so incredibly fierce and I adore the way my hips look in bikinis now because of it. I look at my body modifications not as ways to improve my body, but as ways to improve my relationship with it. And that has been incredibly empowering, to have the agency to cultivate the self-esteem and body image I want and deserve. That's why I encourage almost every woman I talk with to at least consider getting her VCH done. The sexual benefits are amazing, but the feeling it gives you is even better.

Plus, it makes you a BAMF.

Much love,
The Albright Sheriff

No comments:

Post a Comment