I should really be wrapping up my paper about America's cognitive dissonance regarding the equalization of funding for schools. But no, I'ma write about anal here instead.
When I was younger, anal seemed just incomprehensible to me. Why would you want to do something that would be inherently painful, why would a guy want to place his precious manhood inside an asshole, what kind of woman would have so little respect for herself as to do something like that?
But in my ripe old age, I began to question these assumptions, slowly. I won't lie: I watch a lot of porn, and even the most bland, hetero-normative porn out there usually features at least one scene of anal (though they usually call it something much nastier, like "Dirt Pipe Milkshakes." No, I did not make that up. For more LOL-worthy titles, http://www.cracked.com/article_15830_15-most-sexually-unappealing-porn-titles.html). I consider myself a very open person, willing to try new things and began thinking about it (this is not always a positive attribute). And seeing something like that performed over and over again makes one wonder.
So Beefcake and I tried anal. This was a mistake.
Practically anyone who has met Beefcake knows that he has what one guy friend of mine referred to as a "donkey cock." The man is seriously hung, a fact that is not lost on him. He has never been accused of modesty: he is the type who walks proudly (no, he doesn't walk...he struts) around without a towel in the locker room.
Despite obviously knowing this, we didn't really bother with much penetration (just some rimming which was surprisingly enjoyable...expand your horizions!) before just trying to shove all of his very big self into my very little self. After less than a minute of biting my lip in pain, I had to ask him to stop. I walked around for the next few days a little oddly, being very careful before sitting down. UNPLEASANT, to say the least.
Unfortunately, the image we're presented in porn goes something like this: man spits on blonde white chick with implant's asshole, shoves his cock (without a condom!) inside her, and she's coming within seconds. Of course, her asshole is hairless, she seems to be in no pain, and there certainly is no evidence of fecal matter afterwards.
I did some research into this: female porn stars get paid $900-1500 for anal scenes, versus $400-1200 for straight sex scenes. They perform enemas on themselves (ew) before doing the scene and avoid eating beforehand to make sure things don't get messy. There's usually a lot of behind-the-scenes-lubing going on to make it somewhat more comfortable for her (male readers, please remember: spit is not enough lube for anal sex. It just ain't. And even if it was, ask before you spit on someone--it can be very degrading).
- Lots of lube
- Shaving might make it more sensitive
- GO SLOWLY
- Be sure it's with someone who will respect you and communicate well with you
- Breathe deeply and try to relax
- Be able to laugh at yourself in case something goes disastrously wrong
- ...maybe buy cheap sheets, in case said disaster occurs
Much love,
The Albright Sheriff
I don't give a shit (haha) if anyone engages in anal sex, but the line that made me stop was this: "I won't lie: I watch a lot of porn..."
ReplyDeleteI don't want to start any arguments, but I'm going to link to some essays, articles, and websites that will hopefully show you guys how porn is a feminist issue. To put it succinctly: every time you watch a piece of pornography, you are watching our society rape another woman.
1) Common objections dealt with: http://rageagainstthemanchine.com/2008/07/18/a-few-responses-to-common-objections-to-my-position-on-porn/
2) Book: Getting Off: Pornography and the End of Masculinity, by Robert Jensen.
3) Some of Jensen's articles online: http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/%7Erjensen/articles_gender.html
4) https://www.againstpornography.org/
5) "We need to recognise that pornography is, and can only ever be, a commodification of our sexuality; genuine sexual liberation cannot be purchased, it does not come in a consumer package." - http://antipornfeminists.wordpress.com/
6) http://rageagainstthemanchine.com/2008/04/16/porn-part-4-half-of-the-big-picture/ <- her entire series on pornography is fabulous.
7) there's a great bell hooks essay on "funfeminism" from 1994 or so but I can't remember the title right now.
This was extremely long-winded, but they are some great resources and hopefully they create a dialogue concerning what has become one of the primary avenues to control women and further commodify sexuality within a capitalist patriarchal framework within the last twenty years or so.
- Rhian
Hey Rhian,
ReplyDeleteI know that my relationship with porn is, at best, questionable as a feminist. I've read most of the stuff you've posted here before. And the truth is, I still like porn. I prefer porn where the women have real bodies and have explicitly sought out feminist porn (it's the only porn I'll actually pay for), but it's still a funky issue. That being said, part of feminism, for me, is being able to enjoy my sexuality as I see fit. And sometimes? That includes porn. :(
-Jackie
I want to preface this by saying I understand that these are sensitive topics and I don't want to sound like I am intentionally trying to offend anyone. I also want to say that I am glad that you started this blog because it does open up conversations such as these, and I fucking love discussing this stuff.
ReplyDeleteI think for me I consider the very concept of pornography (which I define as filming or photographing sexual acts with the intent to arouse the viewer) as being inherently anti-feminist. Why? Because it relies entirely on the idea of sex as performance, which for me is a direct product of the male gaze, which decrees that female sexuality is a performance for men. It creates an artificiality around sex that I find extremely detrimental.
Before I came to this conclusion a few months ago, I actively hunted out so-called feminist porn in an attempt to find something right for me. Even in heterosexual feminist porn - actually, even in lesbian feminist porn! - I walked away unhappy, because of the performative nature of the work. What we know as sex is entirely based upon patriarchal assumptions of male sexuality - concepts of gender roles (even in same-sex sex scenes), ideas of women not actually wanting sex or sex not being good for us (the very concept of sex as a "naughty" thing.) For me, I want a radical reconstitution of what we conceive as sex, something that removes the toxicity and artificiality that has corrupted it in the modern age. What does this mean? How to do this? I don't know yet. Feminist sex might only be possible in the post-patriarchy, which I doubt I'll live to see.
In conclusion, thanks for letting me ramble on your blog, and have a great summer!
- Rhian