Right now, my life is pretty sweet because among other things, I am single which means that my emotions are stable and fairly stress-free. This is the first time that I have been single for a long period of time (slightly over a year) since I was 17. In the past four years, I have had two significant, life-changing relationships. And right now, I am overjoyed not to be in one.
My relationship with Ephram lasted about two years from the end of high school to the end of sophomore year at Smith. (This is where my life would make an excellent, although sad, movie.) We fell in love the summer after senior year of high school. We partied, went to the beach; basically spending anytime when I was not working together. Our first semester at school, we decided to have an open relationship because he was going to school in South Carolina and me in Massachusetts (read: 16 hours of driving apart=epic long distance). However, we got back together over Thanksgiving break, after I realized that being with him made me the happiest I've ever been. Over the next 1 1/2 years, we had our good times and bad (this is the montage scene of us alternating fighting and making up). But in January of 2009, he lost his ROTC scholarship and enlisted in the Army. (movie climax here) We broke up in May, after he had been at basic training for a month, and in August, he was stationed in Italy. (Currently, he is serving in Afghanistan.) Last spring, I dealt with the uncertainty of the future, and then last summer/fall dealt with us not being together anymore. (movie resolution) This winter, I finally started to embrace the single life. I had gotten over the epic crisis of breaking up with Ephram and started to see who else was out there. This spring, I lived the casual hooking up phase to the fullest.
If I had to do it all over again, I would. My relationship with Ephram gave me the opportunity to experience so much, and also taught me a ton of shit about love, and myself. I also learned that you cannot control the future, no matter how hard you might try. Although it was fucking hard, I had my heart broken and lived through it. I'm not saying that being single is better than being in a relationship for me or anyone. I think that everyone should have a variety of romantic experiences. But right now, I'm perfectly happy not to be in one. (Although sexually frustrated at times.)
Lots of Love,
Lady Lola
No comments:
Post a Comment