Wednesday, May 19, 2010

It takes two: Birth Control Bullshit

I'm back PA for a few weeks before I start my summer internship (which is thankfully back at Smith), and as usual, have a shit ton of doctors' appointments crammed into my time here. Weighing most on my mind is my gyno appointment tomorrow.Don't get me wrong: I love my gyno. She's hilarious, chill, and very professional. Pelvic exams don't bother me, and STD test don't make me bat an eye. But I am getting my Implanon removed tomorrow, and a new one inserted.

Implanon is a fabulous, long-term, and effective form of birth control. It's a matchstick size rod inserted into your upper arm just under the skin; it's hormonal (prevents the release of an egg/thickens your cervical mucus to prevent pregnancy); it lasts three years; and for me at least, was WAY cheaper than the Pill (also had the benefit of not having to remember to take a pill daily at the same time, and saved me the embarrassment of getting my prescription for birth control filled at the pharmacy by an old woman I'd known since the beginning of Girl Scouts). But I'm not here to plug my personal form of birth control (although their website has a nifty chart showing the effectiveness of various forms of birth control: http://www.implanon-usa.com/Consumer/index.asp?C=56846403179342708333).

This fear (cutting open my arm! needles! novacain!) has all got my little brain thinking: why is the onus for preventing unwanted pregnancy on the females? Why is this not something men have to consider, beyond perhaps carrying a condom, or pulling out (NOT EFFECTIVE AT ALL YOU FUCKTARDS)? A male birth control pill is in the works, but they haven't figured out how to make it effective without also causing prostate cancer (although the heightened risk for stroke and blood clots for women on the Pill doesn't seem to alarm the pharmaceutical companies as much). Why have I never been asked by a man before copulating if I was protecting myself from pregnancy somehow? Why is birth control often not covered or only partially funded, even by decent private insurance, but Viagra is covered under Medicaid? (my tax dollars are paying for poor old men to have boners? I'm sorry, I'd rather use that money to prevent an unwanted child from coming into this world).

The short answer: the patriarchy and sexism.

The more nuanced answer: We have built a culture around sex that inspires fear in women over pregnancy. While the Pill and other forms of birth control have given women incredible freedom to wait for financial solvency/pursuing their career or dreams before having kids, to space out their children better, or to be sexually active in a hetero way without ever worrying about an unwanted pregnancy, the medical establishment and our culture has also placed the sole responsibility for preventing unwanted pregnancy on females.

I don't think is entirely a bad thing: I don't mind being in control of my body. I do mind that no man I have ever had a relationship with has contributed to my birth control costs; why is this a burden I have to bear? I'm saving your ass from either abortion clinic anxiety or eighteen years of child support payments, not to mention sleepless nights with a crying infant and dealing with my fat pregnant ass, so why am I the only one to front the (sometimes considerable) money to prevent conception?

I reach the same conclusion: Patriarchy. Sexism. Boys will be boys, but that girl best be responsible. I myself have said of young mothers: "she got herself pregnant." But it takes two, fellas, and I'd love to see you step up to the plate, act like men, and split the costs until the male Pill is perfected.

Much love,
The Albright Sheriff

7 comments:

  1. Wow, I honestly never even considered the idea of men contributing to the cost of birth control (probably because I've never been on birth control.) That goes along with a whole slew of responsibilities that go with an unplanned pregnancy that women are stuck with but men can easily escape. I definitely agree that all men should step up and take their equal share of the burdon, whether it's paying for bc or raising a child- because they certainly play (at least) an equal part in sex.

    But what if it's not a relationship situation? Should a girl ask a guy who she has a one night stand with for some cash to help pay for her pills? That sounds a bit too much like prostitution to me. I guess in that case the guy will (hopefully) have bought a condom and the girl will have bought her birth control and that's sort of almost fair, right? Hmmm...

    Also, that whole Viagra/bc/medicare thing is super fucked up. In addition to the sexism, it's just impractical! An unwanted child whose mother/parents couldn't even afford birth control is gonna cost the government a shit ton more money than a limp dick...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know how I knew that my mom was an uber feminist? When she told me with anger that Viagra was covered by Medicaid and not birth control pills around age 14. Not surprisingly, I was the only girl in my 9th grade health class to know this information. Unfortunately, it's still true, 10 years later. AND it's more expensive for college students to purchase birth control.
    Lady Lola

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's fairly obvious why women have been thrust into the role of birth control authority. For one, hormonal treatment in order to prevent pregnancy is only effective for women (hence there being no male pill). Additionally, the women are forced into being responsible for birth control simply because men can evade responsibility for a child so very easily (were it not for heroes like Maury Povich).

    I don't think it's right, of course. Every time a preventative measure was needed (or God forbid a worst case scenario with a one-night stand), I personally have always been the one to contribute at least half of the budgeting. Fair is fair, but for women (or men) who don't have this conversation with a person they choose to sleep with perhaps shouldn't be sleeping with this person in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Devon--I understand the basic reasons WHY it's easier to force birth control responsibility on women. My question is more of the cultural and social influences that have brought us to the point where we still tolerate and accept this being the system.
    --Albright Sheriff

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are getting closer to the day that male birth control is a viable option. Check out this most recent article from the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8674380.stm

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was actually just at my gyno today and found it very interesting how on one wall of the exam room they had nostalgic pictures of cute, chubby babies and on the other side of the room they had posters for birth control. Interesting juxtaposition to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tara- Paying for birth control is WAY more expensive than buying condoms. Also, most of the guys I've dated never had condoms, so I ended up footing the bill for both forms of birth control. (Yeah, so that's partially my problem for dating bums. But you get my point!)

    I also appreciate having family planning tools within my grasp. I think it's totally awesome that I don't have babies yet, especially after working in a preschool for a year and learning about the incredible responsibility raising a young child brings into your life (and gift, but you gotta be ready to give back!)

    However, I've never found a form of birth control from which I didn't experience moderate to severe side effects. I've tried several forms of the pill and the nuva ring. I've heard horror stories about the shot.

    As a college graduate with loans living on a teacher's salary, the financial and physical tolls that birth control would have on my life are hardly worth it. When I hear that less-intrusive forms of male birth control are being tested, I tear up a little. If only!

    It's important while discussing feminist issues to acknowledge the affect that these trends have on men as well. Some men would really love to have more input in the birth control process. I think a lot of them don't know much about male birth control or are uncomfortable with the idea because it's new and sounds emasculating. To me feminism is about studying gender trends and how they affect people (making room for men's experience in the matter). This is similar to how the study of racism links naturally into the study of white privilege.

    This may well be a topic on the blog already, I haven't been able to keep up with all the postings! Thanks for your thoughts all.

    ReplyDelete