Friday, May 21, 2010

The (Real) Bar Scene

Although Northampton has a bit of a paucity of bars given that it's a college town, I must admit, the Sex Fairies are spoiled. Our bars are clean, well-lit, safe, and fun. Real college bars are NOT like this.

I got an education on this subject last night when I explored the West Chester bar scene for the first time. West Chester is a state college town in PA, and thus chock full of raucous bars. I spent most of the night staring at the chaos and drunk texting myself so I would remember all the lovely details.

The environment was so male-oriented and frat-like. The first bar we went to had five TVs, all of which were broadcasting sports, clearly pandering to the men of the bar scene. One of my companions, Beefcake, pointed out that sports are one of the few things that you can watch without sound and still understand, and while this is true, why do we need TVs at all? I don't go to bars to catch up on SportsCenter; I go to bars to get my drink on. This reminded me very much of the club at which I met Beefcake, where they broadcast episodes of Manswers (the show that answered pertinent inquiries such as "what does it take to make an implant explode?"), catering to a more male experience.

They also had $2 mixed drinks as a promotional special, something I very much appreciated, but which also seemed to unfairly target women: nearly all of the females at this bar were throwing back the mixed drinks, while the men sipped beers. It also reminded me of a frat's beer policy at WPI: men can get five beers free, women have unlimited (presumably in order to get them shitfaced and less able to discern who, if anyone, they'd like to go home with).

At this same bar, a very skinny, very scantily-clad woman was DJing. Before putting on the song "Crazy Bitch," she advocated to the other females in the place that they "treat their men right" later that night.

...female chauvinism, much?

The saving grace for this bar (for me, anyway) was the one lone gay female. With her short hair and flannel shirt, she made me feel at home. I wanted to buy her a shot out of solidarity of being the only folks there to understand the definition of "heteronormativity."

The second bar was much more crowded and college-scene than the first. By the end of the evening, the floor was coated in that familiar frat house beer sludge that comes from too many spilled drinks.

One man with a beer gut and early male-pattern baldness stood near the bar, criticizing the women who walked by him and blatantly looking them up and down. I wanted to storm over and lecture him on objectification (as well as questioning how a fat fuck like himself thought he deserved the attention of ANY of the females there), but knew a half-drunk five foot tall blonde yelling at him would not exactly be the pinnacle of conscious-raising, so I refrained.

And attention was clearly the currency of the realm here. For me, this was exemplified by the extent to which most of the women had dolled themselves up (I'm not sure I wore that much makeup to my prom), but even moreso by the faux-bisexuality on display (fuck you, Katy Perry!). Far be it from me to dictate a person's sexuality (I'm all for experimentation), but these two girls were making out for a man holding a camera. It was not only important that they attract attention to themselves by pandering to the male gaze directly in front of them, but also that they document it for later to prove just how fun and crazy they are. It didn't seem to be about enjoyment for them, as they stopped as soon as the picture was taken, but about attention. It made me sad.

While I'm sure I will probably drink in West Chester again, I couldn't help but be struck by the way the entire atmosphere replicated the male-dominated air of a frat house. It only made me more homesick for the safe, bourgie bars of Northampton, and made me see how sheltered we are from the outright chauvinism encouraged by so many bars and their patrons. We really do live in a pro-women bubble, and I love it.

Much love,
The Albright Sheriff

12 comments:

  1. I love the West Chester bar scene, if only because of the terribly interesting sociological implications of the actions of the people involved in it.....
    It was nice to hear some local flavor in this blog, somewhere other than noho!

    P.S. I went to school in West Chester....If you notice the street names?? They are one way, most of them, and You have to go into EC on high street and go out on Gay street, thus the amazing WC unofficial slogan, you go in high and come out gay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! We went to Landmark and I think Barnaby's? It was fun but my head was buzzing with feminism!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, i remember the fratty bar scene well. although we didn't have sports tv's, we had places called "the rat" (which really is as gross as it sounds), and anyone with a penis thought they had an invitation to put it wherever they wanted with girls on the dance floor. mmm, gotta love that class.
    i do miss the cheap mixed drinks though, they were nicer to my wallet than northampton.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand that in general bar scenes are feminist nightmares, and I agree with a lot of what you say. But I should point out that when straight guys go out, they're looking to hook up. As a result, bars do as much as they can to entice women to spend time there, usually with drink specials. So why are you complaining about $2 mixed drinks and unlimited beer? That sounds like a pretty good deal.
    Bars don't need to cater to guys (beyond the sports on the TV, which I appreciate when I'm at a bar and can't find a girl to talk to) as long as they have enough women there. So why are you complaining about a deal that makes women happy (saving money on drinks) makes guys happy (more women at the bar) and makes the bar happy (more money). It seems to work out for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I complain about this bar situation because its not equal. I agree with the business aspect, bars want more women to get more money and customers but in the process they deny female sexual agency. A good portion of women also go to bars to hook-up (at least I do and some of my friends), and we don't need to get wasted in the process. If we are DTF, then we are DTF. It's the same issue that I have with Superbad. Too often society assumes that women don't want to have sex, and therefore we need to be drunk to bang. Personally, I don't think that women need to be any more or less drunk than women to bang.
    Lady Lola

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tom, I find it interesting that you read this as me "complaining" about $2 drinks. I myself said I appreciated it, but the reasoning behind it is what I find questionable and repugnant (I also reject this word complaining because that's what straight men, such as yourself, tend to categorize all feminist criticism of sexist and gendered dynamics as, no matter how legitimate the critique).
    --Albright Sheriff

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you're reading into bar dynamics with too harsh of an eye.

    The reasoning for the cheap drinks is not questionable as much as it is practical. It subscribes to the nature of our genders.

    Consider the almighty rule - wherever women are, men will follow.

    Everyone going to the bar is looking to drink (for the most part), and providing cheaper drinks to women attracts more of you, allowing the almighty rule to manifest itself.

    The equation is simple.

    (CHEAPER MIXED DRINKS = MORE GIRLS = MORE GUYS) = MORE BUSINESS

    The bars "also seemed to unfairly target women: nearly all of the females at this bar were throwing back the mixed drinks, while the men sipped beers. It also reminded me of a frat's beer policy at WPI: men can get five beers free, women have unlimited (presumably in order to get them shitfaced and less able to discern who, if anyone, they'd like to go home with)"

    Hold on.

    At a frat, the motivation is obvious - the guys running the show are looking to get laid, using their position to get girls trashed. Not because they don't think girls are horny: rather, because drunk girls are easier, and frat guys for the most part are assholes with questionable moral standing.

    At a bar, it's different. Cheaper mixed drinks for women are not offered because the establishment is attempting to further impair your sobriety (it's a fucking bar...), but because girls are girls, and you like colorful fruity drinks. That is obviously a broad generalization, but girls are less prone to order a beer than say... a Rum and Coke, or dare I say... a Flirtini. This is fact, and write from my experience as a bartender, event planner and host.

    Other than that, you had me. The bar scene is dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your post. One thing I'm wondering is why you felt it was necessary to describe the sleezy guy who was criticizing ladies as a "fat fuck" and point out that he was going bald. Just because a guy is fat and balding doesn't mean he's automatically unattractive to all women. Now, this guy's personality and demeanor do seem pretty off-putting and probably not the best way to go about picking up women, so maybe we should focus on criticizing those attributes instead of the physical ones?

    I know exactly the type of guy you're talking about, but I've also witnessed the same behavior from men who are conventionally attractive. I don't like the idea that this behavior is somehow worse just because it's coming from a fat person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. *trigger warning for graphic sarcasm

    @Adam: Your stunningly complex analysis of simple microeconomics has shown me the light! Of course $2 mixed drinks and frat party punch have nothing to do with getting women too drunk to say no, because there is no rape problem on college campuses these days and businesses certainly wouldn't try to capitalize on social hierarchies to the detriment of women! It's not like that's ever happened before. Besides, we all know cheap drinks are worth getting sexually assaulted by some asshole who doesn't know or doesn't care what "too drunk to consent" means, amirite ladies? C'mon you know you wanted it - it would never have happened if you hadn't downed all those fucking mixed drinks.

    More seriously...gimme a break, dude. If you don't think there are guys who see nothing wrong with fucking - that is, RAPING - a girl who's so drunk she's passed out on the sidewalk outside the bar. How do I know this? Because it happened to my roommate, and the odds are close to 4:1 that it's happened to a woman who's important in your life too. Pay attention. Your time would be better spent teaching men what consent means than telling us we should be grateful for obvious structural violence that we sometimes marginally benefit from. Remember, there's always a catch when the patriarchy dishes out special prizes for women.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @reverie0312

    May I ask you at what point you decided diverge from what I wrote, and respond to my post without actually addressing what I said? I disagreed with the argument Albright presented and assessed that the bars are not targeting to get you drunker any more than they are guys. It is simply more efficient for the bar to offer cheaper mixed drinks to you, because you will bring guys. Offering cheap mixed drinks to guys would NOT get them more customers.

    You, on the other hand barreled into this conversation attempting to dismiss my argument by purporting me to be a complete idiot. And may I add that in the process of your blind fit of fingernumbing rage, you managed to give off the unmistakable impression that the reason you attacked me and dismissed me so, was because I'm a guy. And well... guys don't know anything about the matter. We couldn't possibly understand.

    Oh. Wait. Could it be that I am as capable, intelligent and insightful as you? No. "gimme a break, dude." I would OBVIOUSLY be better off spending my time "teaching men what consent means." My bad.

    How's that for some sexism? That elicited a laugh from me, actually. Your weak opening disclaimer, did not.

    Let me quickly address your tirade, which had nothing to do with the way I think, nor what I wrote.

    "Of course $2 mixed drinks and frat party punch have nothing to do with getting women too drunk to say no, because there is no rape problem on college campuses these days and businesses certainly wouldn't try to capitalize on social hierarchies to the detriment of women!"

    Quite on the contrary. Drinks offered to women for cheaper prices or even for free have all to do with the matter of rape on college campuses, and likewise for drinks at bars.

    "Besides, we all know cheap drinks are worth getting sexually assaulted by some asshole who doesn't know or doesn't care what "too drunk to consent" means, amirite ladies? C'mon you know you wanted it - it would never have happened if you hadn't downed all those fucking mixed drinks."

    Cheap drinks are certainly not worth getting assulted for. Neither are expensive drinks though. If you are getting 'too drunk to consent', you are certainly NOT asking for it. I'm sure you don't want it. But you also got yourself into a VERY precarious position in which you are not capable of taking care of yourself. No one did that to you but yourself.

    So while your level of intoxication is certainly no excuse for getting assaulted, the cheap mixed drinks are no excuse for 'that brunette' getting "so drunk she's passed out on the sidewalk outside the bar."

    Blaming the $2 drinks for a situation in which you drank 10 of them and incapacitated yourself is like me blaming the police for not defending me as I casually strolled into downtown Springfield at 4AM.

    Let me backtrack one moment.

    "If you don't think there are guys who..."

    Mademoiselle, excuse me for a quick moment. Did I say such men were myth? Hold on. Oh yes. I can now see how saying

    "At a frat, the motivation is obvious - the guys running the show are looking to get laid, using their position to get girls trashed. Not because they don't think girls are horny: rather, because drunk girls are easier, and frat guys for the most part are assholes with questionable moral standing."

    could be misunderstood as a defense of male intentions. I'll write clearer next time.

    In short, your response to mine was not only inflammatory, but completely misplaced and quite frankly... just made me dismiss you as crazy. I read this blog not because I am a mindless male twat, but rather because I enjoy the points brought up here, and care about the discussion.

    Get your shit together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A) I'm really glad this blog has managed to generate so much heated discussion.

    B) Everyone who posts here deserves to be read carefully and understood to be a person with a whole life, experiences, thoughts and values, not just a random robot behind a keyboard. I think we are all smart and capable of communicating our ideas and opinions without a tone of aggressiveness.

    C) In that spirit, shall we try to refrain from using vagina words as insults?

    Thanks! Onward! <3

    ReplyDelete