Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Who ARE these Albright Sex Fairies?: Lady Lola

Hey everybody! Now that I have posted a few times, I thought that I should introduce myself and my motives for writing on this blog.

Real name: Katie Davis
Smith College Class of 2011

Personal Philosophy about gender: Equal Opportunity Objectifier (as I've mentioned before). The patriarchy exists and yes, we live in a male-dominated society. To change this, I'm aiming for equality which dismantles the patriarchy without replacing it with a matriarchy. Therefore, I don't think that women should run the world while men live underground, used only for purposes of reproduction. Men and women need to mutually acknowledge each other's humanity and not accept situations in which that humanity is denied. I do not ask everyone to embrace my understanding of gender relations, but I do ask people (especially my peers) to think about their surroundings from a gendered perspective. Ask yourself: Why is this girl not wearing pants at a party? Does this wardrobe choice give her empowerment? Or is a tool that she uses to attract male attention that she needs to validate her own self worth?

Why Fornicating Feminists? I decided to write on this blog because I am a fornicating feminist. This semester, I experienced a variety of sexual encounters including a fling, one stands, dates etc. (All of this after ending a two-year relationship). Throughout all of these encounters, I struggled with labeling this sexual behavior. Am I a slut? Whore? Tease? Baller? "The Man?" I thought that people would look at me and think slut, but I don't think of myself as a slut, so why should I let society define me? What tools of society force me into this definition and how? So, I write to share my thoughts and frustrations. I hope that this blog with elicit some discussion and ask people to think.

Lots of Love,
Lady Lola

1 comment:

  1. More power to you! And side note: negative labels to do with sexual exploration: all associated with women. "Baller," "The Man"... probably doesn't need to be pointed out, but i couldn't resist.

    We NEED a snappy slang term for a sexually liberated woman. We should have a contest or something.

    ReplyDelete