I often have arguments with Beefcake about things I see as chauvinistic or exploitative (like Girls Gone Wild or reality shows in which women get naked and act poorly such as Bad Girls Club) and he usually ends his point with, "it's their choice to participate in these things, and isn't that what feminism is all about?"
No. Well, not entirely.
While I stand wholeheartedly behind the idea that every woman (and every intersex person and genderqueer individual and anyone else otherwise unaligned with the gender binary) should be just as free as every man to do whatever she damn well pleases, even if that means taking off her clothes for money (can't lie to you folks, I think about it from time to time as a means to pay back my significant college debt...this feminist consciousness ain't fo free) or otherwise commodifying herself, I also think that those choices are not made in a cultural vacuum and thus she is NOT "as free as a man" when she makes those decisions.
But this idea that feminism is about choice is very seductive because it simplifies things enormously. It is easy to pretend that feminism has served it's purpose that now woman can ostensibly choose more in their own lives.
However, as I said, feminism isn't just about choice. For me, living my feminism means responsibility. It's not sexy, it's not fun, but it's a real gift to be able to take more direction, to refuse to let yourself be victimized (when you can). Obviously, there are situations in which you are not at all responsible (rape, sexual assault, and the wage gap come to mind) but you do have the power to take action and work to change those things, through raising awareness, activism, legislation, etc.
Feminism in action can manifest itself in much smaller, daily ways too, responsible sex being a primary one. Yes, you could choose to not use birth control or to forgo condoms (male or female) during casual sex. But then you set yourself up to be a victim of an unwanted pregnancy or a sexually transmitted disease. While no form of protection is totally effective all of the time and clearly no one wants herpes or a child while they're in college and eatin' ramen, to not take advantage of the tools at your disposal (free condoms, Planned Parenthood) is, to me, showing a lack of respect for yourself. Take pride in keeping yourself safe! Margaret Sanger fought hard for your right to do so, so revel in it, ladies.
And this responsibility of being a strong, empowered woman extends to all arenas of your life. Do your own taxes. Get tested regularly for STDs (on that note, GET YOUR DAMN PELVIC EXAM). Understand your turn ons, and take responsibility for your enjoyment sexually, whatever that means for you. Balance your checkbook. Know how to change a tire and check your oil. Pay your own bills. To put yourself at the mercy of someone else, be it a man or a woman or your parents, and to expect their help sets you up to be incapable of standing on your own two feet when you need to, and trust me, one day you will need to.
Perhaps some of these views are more indicative of my lower middle class upbringing (full of "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps" BS) than my feminism, but I see them as complimentary. Both tout an idea of taking care of yourself as best you can, not needing to rely on someone else for help. While there are greater forces at work that oppress lower class people and women (just a few examples: classicism, sexism, patriarchy, absurdly low minimum wage, etc) and to ignore them would be both revisionist history and ignorant, there are things within your control in your life and, for me, taking full control of those aspects of my life has been deeply empowering. I have the right to own a checking account and my own property (the sum total of which is my books and my 1990 Accord named Melvin, but they're all mine) and to ensure my sexual health, and those are all beautiful things. Embrace them!
Much love,
The Albright Sheriff
yea, i always have a problem trying to draw the line between feminism and being a dumb ho. "consciousness" is usually what i use to differentiate between the two. like, as long as you know all about the significance of your choice and still choose to do it (this ties into wearing high heels and shit too) - but sometimes i just throw up my hands and say "fuckin dumb skanks arent being feminists!"
ReplyDelete... i think you did a better job.
I totally agree with you Sheriff and J. I would add that feminism for me is also the ability to say "you're damn right I'm a feminist, and the patriarchy does exist." It actually took me a little while to become comfortable with that term due to all the connotations that surround it but now, I am proud to call myself a feminist.
ReplyDeleteLady Lola
Sheriff, I'm a little confused.
ReplyDeleteI agree with this statement: "feminism isn't just about choice[...]living my feminism means responsibility" in that I think being a responsible feminist means thinking through all of the implications of one's actions and how they might comply with or reinforce patriarchal expectations. I get frustrated with cis women who identify as feminists but remove much of their body hair and don't have any real explanation for why they do, for example. And I absolutely agree that being a responsible sexual partner (whether one identifies as a feminist or not) means getting tested regularly and being safer in all the other ways you mention.
I guess I'm just unclear about where you stand on the girls who have "gone wild." Are they "showing a lack of respect for [themselves]"? Being irresponsible? Is their "choice" to participate negated by their irresponsibility? If I think about the issue in terms of responsibility, I think of the responsibility of the producers not to exploit and coerce women into making "choices" that they wouldn't make under different circumstances. I'm not sure where the girls' responsibility fits into this.
Adrienne,
ReplyDeleteI agree that it's the responsibility of the producers to not try to coerce these girls into doing things that they wouldn't normally do, hence why I don't think it's a matter of "choice," as people love to argue to justify things like wet t-shirt contests.
To me, this "going wild" can indicate a certain lack of self respect for one's self. But it can still be a conscious, "responsible" choice if you're aware of the way you're being exploited and the cultural implications of acting in a certain way.
But I don't really think the responsibility of the girls fits into those kinds of things--my whole argument was that I think feminism is less about choice than it is about wholeheartedly embracing being in charge of your life and making choices that reflect that responsibility in a way you can be proud of. To make feminism just about "choice" opens the door for a) claiming it's served its purpose, and b) giving women the choice to do things without justification or examination, like shaving body hair without knowing why and the like.
Hope that makes sense!
--The sheriff
Thanks, that makes perfect sense. The kind of "choice feminism" I think you're reacting against is what allows people like Sarah Palin to appropriate the title.
ReplyDeleteWhile I don't believe that there is one right way to be a feminist, there are definitely an awful lot of ways to be Not Feminist. Refusing to take responsibility for one's actions, especially if they endanger others or perpetuate the patriarchy, is pretty high up on that list.
Btw, Sarah Palin was on the cover of Newsweek last week. I recommend reading the article mainly b/c one must know one's enemy.
ReplyDeleteLady Lola